Above all do everything with the highest level of Honesty, Integrity and Humility. If you stick with those core values and understand the rules of this industry you'll be fine. Any deliberate violation will be grounds for immediate termination.
The below MUST be followed at all times:
1) ALWAYS protect and keep a patients personal information confidential. YOU MUST BE HIPAA CERTIFIED IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE.
2) NEVER tell a patient that the screening is "free". It is not free. Medicare pays a lot of money for this. You may say "IT IS OFFERED AT NO COST TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS".
3) NEVER offer ANYTHING to entice an individual to get the screening done. While at events or in a home this includes but is not limited to food, coffee, gift certificates, money or anything else that would appear to be enticing the patient to receive a screening. This is called payola and it is a crime. Don't go to jail and ruin your reputation and career by doing this.
4) NEVER represent yourself as a medical professional. We are Genetic Screening Advocates / Agents. We are NOT medical professionals.
5) NEVER sign a patients name on any document whether paper or electronic medical record
6) NEVER high pressure or manipulate someone into receiving the screening. Medicare is very sensitive to this. Simply educate and let them know that we have kits on hand so they can start the process if they so choose to.
7) NEVER solicit DOOR to DOOR. This is a felony and if caught you will be arrested.
8) Never falsify any patient information. You will be terminated immediately when caught.
9) ALWAYS treat the patients with the utmost respect and ALWAYS follow the Golden Rule!